Saturday, January 14, 2012

a new semester + level 2 planning

First off, if you have a Tumblr, or just want to add it to your bookmarks- one of my classmates started one to document our last year in OT school.... I'm sure you will love her! http://student-to-ot-in-365.tumblr.com/

We're just a few days away from starting a new semester, FIVE classes- i think this is the first time we've had five. These are the classes we'll be taking:
Occupational Therapy Leadership and Management
Physical Dysfunction Practice: Musculoskeletal
Physical Dysfunction Practice: Neurological
Special Topics in Adult Rehabilitation
Working with Older Adults

I went and bought all of my books- luckily I already had one we needed from a previous semester but I had to buy EIGHT new books, and they cost $590 total...is that not ridiculous?? I don't see why textbooks are so expensive!

Its hard to believe these are the last classes that I will take! I'm getting nervous that I haven't learned as much as I should have by now, that after these 5 courses I'm going to be thrown into Level 2's and expected to treat a whole case load..
Speaking of Level 2's we are in the process of figuring out where we will be this summer and this fall..None of us know where we'll be placed for the summer session and seems that only a handful of us have some idea of the area we'll be in for the Fall...this just seems a little last minute to me- like we should have started planning for these placements last year, the last semester of classes...but what do i know??
As of right now it looks like I will be at the Riverside Regional Medical Center or the Riverside Rehabilitation Institute in Newport News. I went out there for a couple of days the other week to look at the area and the facilities just to see if I would be comfortable with the area... luckily I have a couple of friends that live there o I think I would be fine! I'm meeting with our fieldwork coordinator on Tuesday to tell her about my trip and hopefully finalize the places.
Riverside Regional Medical Center

Riverside Rehab Institute- Right on the James River

Rehab Institute


For those that have been through a Level 2 already
What is your advice??

1 comment:

k said...

We all feel that way (like we didn't have enough time to learn everything needed) and it's normal so don't worry! I know finding your fieldwork placement is super stressful, but don't sweat it. I know it's easy for me to say, but that would be my advice to you. Many in our class didn't know until a month or so before, and sometime, fieldwork placements get cancelled at the last minute d/t medical leaves or therapists changing positions. Just trust that it will all work out in the end!

Post a Comment